Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Technology Has Been Saving My 'Ass'essments Lately

So let me just go on record and say that these past few weeks have been that one poor bastard of a coastline constantly pounded and grounded by tsunamis. Except us students are the sand and many of the waves have been assignments and projects and everything miserable underneath the sun. Needless to say, everyone's been going hard at it. For me especially, I owe my academic survival to technology. On too many a circumstance has an "Oh No! I forgot my USB back in my dorm!" epiphany sucker punched me in the gut and on too equally a common circumstance has an "Oh Yeah! I'll just export this paper that I spent days writing on Pages into a Word document and send it to myself via email!" idea saved my butt. It's one of those things that I'm most thankful for in this day and age: the ability to keep calm in high octane situations and exploit the convenience of modern technology for the greater good. In this case, the greater good being my sanity and a letter that judges my worth as an intelligent human being. Tips and tricks people, tips and tricks! All I can say is that email and Google Docs and all kinds of technologies that specialize in written work and ‘good-assignment’ construction have been essential these past couple of weeks. I am positively sure that every single student in MSU feels the same way about this, unless you live under a rock. Which I’m okay with, cavemen are kind folk. And the Amish have a way of maintaining wealth and integrity by living the simple life. I’m sorry if this little bit insults anyone, I’ve been running on caffeinated sources for too long. Please don’t get offended, I’m laughing too much to stop now. It’s not just the actual assignment part of college technology that has been helping me lately, but the sources that our professors require us to bring to class. I’m pretty sure we can all agree that the computer labs on campus are where our “let’s save our own paper and ink” mentality really kicks in. We all print scandalous amounts of paper that contain research and journal articles and professor’s Powerpoint slide presentations and all those textbooks we don’t want to buy. Which makes sense. The costs on those things from the University Bookstore are criminal! We’d have better luck letting ourselves get robbed and even though we may lay broke and beaten upon the dirt, they’ll probably leave those same textbooks in good enough shape for us to use. Or when I had to do a dance routine with my partner for the GNED Social Dance. We needed music for our routine, so instead of burning a CD or, who still does this?, buying one, we used Youtube to full effect. We kicked ass dancing by the way. Technology is that permanent contingency plan. Whenever things take a turn for the worse whether it be school or work or personal troubles; there’s always a way of fixing something, phoning for assistance, or clarifying things that need to get done. It is a stress-reliever. I’m not saying technology cures all ailments (even though in a way, it does for the serious ones. Accomplishments in the medicinal field attribute to this), but it’s saved more tail than wildlife preserves have. This is important for us to know because since we are all going to become teachers (unless some of us have a change of heart) and our students will be born into the generations of technology-users. You know, the ones that already know how to thumb-text on their way out of the womb. Alright, that may be an over-exaggeration. But still, our would-be students are going to feel the exact same way I am feeling. That we are all feeling. Heck, I bet the professors, along with the students, have relied on technology to turn their bad days into good days. We are staring at the ghosts of Christmas Yet To Come whenever we look at our reflection off the screens of our phones or laptops. This is where things are going. I just want to ask: are we prepared? I think we will be, we are after all those would-be students at heart. Teaching fresh out of graduation. The lot of us Montclairions. We are just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment