Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Certain Filipino + CURR-314 = Very Happy Emoticon

So I've been reading other people's posts and commenting...on some. And a certain little birdie caught my attention *coughkatcough* with a subject matter that made sense to me. This CURR-314 class that we all seem to be taking is very informative about the organization and application of work. It offers up assignments based on realistic scenarios and experience from the teacher's POV that have proved to be helpful. But what makes this class so bearable, for me at least, is the in-formalities of submitting our work. The formative structure and constructive criticism differentiates the class from the others that I have had in the past. I remember the first time I printed out one of the assessments that we had to hand in (yes, I wasn't paying attention the first time around). Our professor looked at me and said, "I can't accept that. You have to send it to me electronically." My head went: "Hhhuhh?" whilst rotating comically. I've had professors say that to me, but never a CURR one. The ones I've had wanted hard copies up the wazoo. Anyways, back to the point. Our professor sends us back emails with our assignments attached to them without a grade. Did you hear me? Without a grade! No letters raising and lowering our self-esteem. No judgements about our worth as intellectuals. Just a couple of constructive criticism and comments and BOOM! That's our return. This is an example of how technology can benefit kids in the long run: formative use. If I ever become a teacher, this is one of those rare observations that I hope I will remember and draw wisdom from in the trials to come.  People always say an equal balance between assumptive and formative is healthy. But I believe that if there has to be equal amounts of both on either side, I'd want more formative slipped in than the latter. Looking back at it now, I'm learning a lot more than I thought I would initially. This class is turning out to be a real eye-opener, especially when our professor constantly uses the projector when teaching us the material. With that little remote of his clicking and clicking slide after slide, pointing an important part to remember and lectures about it for a but, waits for us to scribble it down, continue process. CURR-314: definitely where the cool kids hang out.

No comments:

Post a Comment