Wednesday, April 17, 2013

In The Trenches With Comrades

True story. I've just come back from laser tag where I saw fellow future educators Chris and Ann Marie joining the fray. My friend and I have deemed "The Battle of the Quad- Spring Semester"; I attended it last semester in the Fall and I must say, the carnage lives up to its name once again. I can't help but think about how we still have that child-like spirit inside us all. We may be college students and we may be young, but knowing that we can have fun just like those whipper-snappers learning in school nowadays is a relief. We're not getting old yet, we have the confidence of youth on our side. Which is important to maintain when we do become teachers. That we know, to an extent, what these kids are going through and how they must feel towards certain assignments. Drawing back on prior knowledge back in school (what lessons did I remember most and what techniques helped me learn better?) will help us bridge that connection. Laser tag is a type of technology that never seems to lose its luster. It must be "timeless classic" syndrome. But we were all out there in the dirt and muck in a war zone. Or should I say through my perspective: a "make believe" war zone. And I was thinking, while I was running around like a maniac and unloading my plastic gun, about what if our future students saw us now. Partaking in an activity that I'm pretty sure countless kids have done in some point in their lives and not just any activity, a technology that brings joy and adrenaline rushes. I'm writing this post in dirty jeans and a shirt and I'm contemplating whether or not I should shower or grace my bed with earthiness. The Battle of the Quad- Spring Semester had its difficulties. Many of our enemies achieved some level of immortality so our lasers bounced off them. And then they ran out of prizes, which is hilarious because my friend wanted a t-shirt more than anything and all I really cared about was the glory, which soured things a bit. But overall, it was a hard fought effort. It looked like we all had fun. I wasn't on the same team as Chris and Ann Marie, but I bet they had just as much fun as I did. The dust may settle and our hands still empty of t-shirts, but we will always have the Quad. And all of the shenanigans that came with it at the time. Utter nonsense, but bloody good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment